Sunday 22 October 2023

PLOSIVE STORY /p/ /b/ /t/ /d/ /k/ /g/


A stop, plosive, or occlusive is a consonant sound produced by stopping the airflow in the vocal tract.
  • Use the consonant chart on the right to hear and repeat each one of these plosive consonant phonemes /p/ /b/ /t/ /d/ /k/ /g/ in isolation as many times as you need to. To help you produce the sounds correctly, place a sheet of paper in front of you, you will probably notice that the paper moves (if you do it properly) as the air streem is released in the manner of a mini-explosion. Keep trying until the paper moves, it should move more with the voiceless consonants /p/ /t/ /k/ than with the voiced equivalents /b/ /d/ /g/.

  • You can now listen to the song The story composed by Brandi Carlile.Pay special attention to the pronunciation of plosive consonants. Once you have finished listening, you can do the matching activity just underneath the video. If you want to see the lyrics as you listen, click on this link: version with the lyrics superimposed on the video.



    7 comments:

    Cynths said...

    thanks so much for this great lesson! I've been looking for ways to teach pronunciation in a more fun way, this really helps. thanks

    Cynthia

    Ana López Pozo said...

    I'm glad you find it useful for you and your students.

    Anonymous said...

    very useful article. I would love to follow you on twitter.

    Anonymous said...

    Good post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.

    Anonymous said...

    Hi everyone, thanx a lot for this article ....... This was exactly what I was lioking for.

    Anonymous said...

    Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to mention that I have truly loved surfing around your weblog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing in your rss feed and I'm hoping you write once more soon!

    Javier said...

    Thank you for this post, for the practice and for get to know me a great singer.