Glide consonants, also known as semivowels /j/ /w/. Sounds with little or no obstruction to the airstream in the mouth.
Glides and Liquids are the closest things to vowels among the consonants - in fact, in some languages they function almost as vowels; Sanskrit, for example, has syllabic 'l' and 'r' .
- 'y' in initial position as in yellow, yes, you.
- 'u' and 'eu' + consonant in initial position as in university, united, Europe.
- Compression in connected speech as in tell me a story /ˈtelmjəˈstɒri/
- 'wh' as in white, where, whiskey.
- 'w' as in win, wet, wish.
- Compression in connected speech as in about to arrive /əˈbəʊtwəˈraɪv/
3) Do the matching activity. Read the instructions before you do it.